Re: Pushing file name to browser

Discussion in 'Python' started by Hakan Nilsson, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, pxlpluker wrote:

    > I what to dynamically create a page that has download links to file
    > stored on disk.
    > the part i don't know how to do (or if its possible) is to a different
    > name appear in the browser DL window.
    > i.e. I want the files stored with a random string but when being DL to
    > have real name show in File Save dialog.
    > in essence i want to push the file name to the browser
    > Fred

    This is not so much a python issue as it is an issue of knowing what the
    browsers do when they get special input.
    But, since I recently did this myself I have the answer handy. ;o)

    Most browsers check the name between the last / and the end of the line
    (or "?" if you have extra get-parameters) and put that as default name in
    the file save-dialog. So all you need to do is something like the following:

    info = { "filename": "apa.txt", "fileid": "10001" }
    the_url = '<a href="">%(filename)s</a>'%info

    As far as I can tell you are only interested in the file id, then this
    should work with no problem for you and you can get the id-parameter
    through the standard cgi-object, or however you chose to do.
    The filename (essentially anything you chose to put between the / and the ?)
    will be available through an extra-path-info variable, probably also
    available in the standard cgi-object.

    Hope this helps,

    Hi! I'm a .signature virus!
    Copy me into your .signature file to help me spread!
    Hakan Nilsson, Mar 7, 2004

  2. On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 04:48:47 +0100 (CET),
    > info = { "filename": "apa.txt", "fileid": "10001" }
    > the_url = '<a href="">%(filename)s</a>'%info

    Another approach is to include a Content-Disposition header in the
    response that suggests a filename, something like this:

    Most browsers will then suggest as the filename, no
    matter what form the download URL takes. See RFC2183 for the details of
    this header.

    A.M. Kuchling, Mar 7, 2004

    shouldn't that read attachment ?

    Irmen de Jong, Mar 7, 2004