RE: pushing python to multiple windows machines

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    []

    > I am working on a project that requires python to be installed on a

    large
    > number of windows servers and was wondering if anyone has found a

    method
    > to do this. I found the article from 2003, but nobody ever stated

    that
    > they have found an option for this.

    I'm not quite clear whether you're asking this question from a Python
    point-of-view (eg running Python from a shared drive) or from a Windows
    point-of-view.

    If the former then perhaps have a look at the Moveable Python project:

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

    I admittedly haven't tried it, but since it's designed to run off memory
    sticks etc. I imagine running from a shared drive shouldn't be too
    difficult.

    There are (commercial) products such as LanDesk which facilitate the
    latter, and in any case the Python installation doesn't do anything
    especially perverse. If you did want to install on each machine,
    perhaps you could get some advice from the Moveable Python people.

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk
    Tim Golden, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Tim Golden

    Guest

    hey tim -

    Thanks for you input. I'm looking at it from the Windows perspective
    of needing to push a python interpreter out to multiple machines. I'll
    check out Moveable Python as you suggested.

    thanks
    -shawn
    , Oct 21, 2005

  3. Tim Golden

    Larry Bates Guest

    Do you really need to install the interpreter or do you
    want to install a Python application to a bunch of servers?
    Using a combination of py2exe and InnoInstaller I push
    applications (and services, and COM objects) to lots of
    Windows servers just as normal setup.exe files which can
    be distributed with lots of tools.

    Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, Oct 21, 2005