Re: putting a form in a html email

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Adrienne

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj" <>
    writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$:

    > Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?
    > i have a very basic questionnaire that we are sending out, and it
    > submits to aspmail running on our webserver.
    > seems to work fine when I test it with outlook express, but on most
    > other things the submit button loses its powers :)
    > (ie all it does is click... and sit there).
    >
    > is this a security thang?
    >
    > cheers
    > drew

    What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to send
    them a link to the page with the form on it.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Adrienne

    dj Guest

    good advice, but not my decision.

    dj, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Adrienne

    rf Guest

    "dj" <> wrote in message

    > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj"

    <>
    > > writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?

    > > What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to

    send
    > > them a link to the page with the form on it.

    > good advice, but not my decision.

    Then whoever made that decision made an incorrect one.

    An email client is not a browser. Browsers can process forms (read: action
    the submit button), email clients cannot.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Adrienne

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "dj" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj"

    > <>
    > > > writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$:

    > > > What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to

    > send
    > > > them a link to the page with the form on it.

    > > good advice, but not my decision.

    > Then whoever made that decision made an incorrect one.
    >
    > An email client is not a browser. Browsers can process forms (read: action
    > the submit button), email clients cannot.

    Just did some checking and have some news. Outlook express is the odd one
    out.

    The message preview pane you see at bottom right in OE and the window you
    are looking at when you 'open' a message is, in fact, the Internet Explorer
    control. Yep, IE and OE share exactly the same code.

    In simple terms the OE preview pane *is* the IE browser. That's why you
    achieve success with OE. You are actually loading the email into the IE
    browser.

    Other email clients do not do this, with the exception of Office Outlook.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Adrienne

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:34:55 +1000, "dj" <>
    wrote:

    : good advice, but not my decision.

    Oh well.... you asked.......

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jul 18, 2003
  6. In article <3f17bf36$0$26531$>,
    says...
    > "Adrienne" <> wrote in message
    > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj" <>
    > > writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?
    > > > i have a very basic questionnaire that we are sending out, and it
    > > > submits to aspmail running on our webserver.
    > > > seems to work fine when I test it with outlook express, but on most
    > > > other things the submit button loses its powers :)
    > > > (ie all it does is click... and sit there).
    > > >
    > > > is this a security thang?

    > > What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to send
    > > them a link to the page with the form on it.

    > good advice, but not my decision.

    Then whoever's making the decision needs to be told that it won't work
    for many users, even if they do accept html (it won't work with my setup
    for instance, and I use Outlook for email).

    Have you tried it with a hotmail account? Lotus notes? AOL? Palmpilot?
    Old versions of Express? Other webmail accounts? Sometimes it's a
    security thing, sometimes it's just one of those things.

    There really is absolutely no way of making this even vaguely reliable,
    except by following Adrienne's suggestion. Quote us on this!
    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 18, 2003