RE: pwinauto to remote automate a GUI ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [baitelli]

    | pywinauto is a set of python modules to automate the
    | Microsoft Windows GUI.
    | With the lines below we start and atomates the apllication Notepad:
    |
    | from pywinauto import application
    | app = application.Application()
    | app.start('C:\Notepad.exe')
    | ... pywinauto automation code
    |
    | Question: Is it possible to start and automate a remote GUI
    | using Python?

    One way might be to have something like
    Pyro (http://pyro.sf.net) running on the
    remote machine linked to a proxy on the local
    machine.

    TJG

    Tim Golden
    Senior Analyst Programmer
    Viacom Outdoor Ltd, Camden Wharf, 28 Jamestown Road, London, NW1 7BY T: 020 7482 3000 F: 020 7267 4944
    Email: www.viacom-outdoor.co.uk

    The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.. Viacom Outdoor Ltd reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct and appropriate use of Viacom Outdoor facilities.

    http://www.star.net.uk
    Tim Golden, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    Tim Golden wrote:

    [... snip horrendous company-generated sig/disclaimer ...]

    Sorry about that, folks. We've started using a new
    server-based sig generation thing so I'll have to start
    not sending via company email!

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Tim Golden

    Mark Guest

    Hi,

    Tim Golden wrote:
    > [baitelli]
    >
    > | pywinauto is a set of python modules to automate the
    > | Microsoft Windows GUI.
    > | With the lines below we start and atomates the apllication Notepad:
    > |
    > | from pywinauto import application
    > | app = application.Application()
    > | app.start('C:\Notepad.exe')
    > | ... pywinauto automation code
    > |
    > | Question: Is it possible to start and automate a remote GUI
    > | using Python?
    >
    > One way might be to have something like
    > Pyro (http://pyro.sf.net) running on the
    > remote machine linked to a proxy on the local
    > machine.
    >
    > TJG

    People have been doing this before...
    if you do a search for pywinauto on google code search the 2nd link
    will be...
    http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl.../py/documentation/talk/pytest-overview.txt#a0

    It seems that integration wth PyTest might allow you to do what you
    want.

    I think it works something like:
    - You have python installed on the test machine
    - It is listening on a port?
    - You send over code that you want executed - and you get the data
    returned by the code.

    But other then that - I don't really know - I am no python Guru
    (especially not networking!)

    Glad that you are looking at pywinauto though :)
    Mark
    Mark, Dec 14, 2006