Re: Py2exe on windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Brueck, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Dave Brueck

    Dave Brueck Guest

    > I'm trying to change the icon py2exe gives you for your win32 App.
    > According to their website the syntax is : python setup.py py2exe --icon
    > I've tried this without success. Is there another way to do this?

    Ray,

    For your own sake, *please* take the time to include more information in
    your questions - the quality of the response you'll receive is directly
    related to the quality of your question. As an example, here's how you could
    re-ask your above question and garner a lot more responses:

    ---- < begin example post > ---
    Hello,

    I'm using py2exe 5.7 on Windows XP with Python 2.4.12 that I downloaded from
    ActiveState. I'm trying to change the icon that py2exe uses in the
    application it creates. I checked the py2exe documentation, and it said I
    need to use the "--icon" parameter. I tried this, but it didn't seem to work
    like I expected because I got a "foo baz biff" error. I've pasted below the
    commands I entered and the error message I got back:

    c:\> cd project
    c:\project> python setup.py py2exe --icon foo.ico
    [ the entire error message -- NOT a summary! ]

    I've verified that foo.ico exists in that directory. Can anyone offer advice
    on what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Ray
    --- < end example post > ---

    Note that in the above example it gives information about the system you're
    using, the version of Python you're using, etc. Instead of summarizing what
    you typed in, it has pasted in the _exact_ text you entered so no
    information gets lost. Also, rather than simply saying, "I tried this
    without success", it shows the exact error you got back. Above all, it shows
    that you've taken the time to read the documentation, taken the time to
    collect enough information for others to help you, taken the time to think
    about the most obvious reasons for the problem and done your best to solve
    the problem on your own, and taken the time to combine it all into a direct
    and specific question. Anything less than this is telling the readers of
    your question that you're not really serious about getting help.

    Good luck!
    -Dave
    Dave Brueck, Nov 2, 2003