Re: PyCon Preliminary Program Announced!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Peters, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Tim Peters

    Tim Peters Guest

    [Bryan]
    > can anyone tell me how the talks work? there are between 9
    > and 12 talks for each time slot. do all talks start at the same
    > time? or are there just four talks at a time and the columns show
    > what talks are in a given room?

    The web page needs better formatting. In general, there are no more
    than 3 presentations going on at any given time, each presentation is
    scheduled for 30 minutes (including setup time, teardown time, and Q&A
    time), and all (up to 3) talks in a given time slot begin and end at
    the same time. All the talks in a given column in a given time block
    occur in the same room, and these are generally 1.5 hour blocks (so 3
    30-minute presentations per block, and up to 3 concurrent blocks).

    > is it easy to go to the talks you want?

    I'd say it's impossible when you want to attend two or three
    presentations occurring at the same time. Otherwise, yes, it's easy
    -- all the presentation rooms are on the same floor in the same
    building. The program committee spent a lot of time trying to group
    "similar" presentations into blocks, so that there's a good chance
    someone (and especially a "one-issue" person) can sit in the same room
    for 1.5 hours and hear what they want to hear. That can't work for
    everyone simultaneously, though, and some amount of room-switching
    during blocks is unavoidable.

    I don't care much for "parallel tracks" myself, because I want to hear
    basically everything. But we had more proposals of higher quality
    this year than ever before, so it came down to scheduling more talks
    in parallel than ever before too, or rejecting perfectly good
    proposals. Because of time constraints, we had to reject some good
    proposals despite having 3 concurrent presentation tracks, and adding
    (compared to last year) an additional 6-talk block on Wednesday.

    It looks to be another great PyCon!
    Tim Peters, Jan 21, 2005

  2. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:52:13 -0500,
    Tim Peters <> wrote:
    > The web page needs better formatting. In general, there are no more

    Suggestions for improvement are welcome. Perhaps the Wiki version of
    the schedule, at http://www.python.org/moin/PyConDC2005/Schedule,
    may be better.

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Jan 21, 2005