Re: pyrudp

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jorge Alberto Diaz Orozco, Jan 30, 2013.

  1. I want to use a reliable UDP connection like you say, a TCP like connection but over UDP. thaks for your recomendation, if I get good results I promise to share them.

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Michael Torrie" <>
    Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:16:15 AM
    Subject: Re: pyrudp

    Excuse me for chuckling, but your complaint that UDP packets can "arive
    disorganised or just not arive" describes exactly what UDP does by
    design! If you need to use UDP then you will have to live with this. I
    always consider UDP to stand for "UNRELIABLE datagram packets." They
    can and do come in any order, or not at all. That's exactly the
    expected behavior of UDP.

    If you want to build a reliable connection on top of UDP you'll have to
    invent some sort of tcp-like protocol that uses UDP packets. An example
    of a real all that does this is openvpn. The Bell Labs Plan 9 RUDP
    protocol is probably what you were shooting for by trying to use the
    non-existent pyrudp code. But I fear you'll have to implement it
    yourself. pyrudp is an empty project on Google Code. The owner
    intended to develop some code but never did.

    Jorge Alberto Diaz Orozco, Jan 30, 2013

  2. Jorge Alberto Diaz Orozco

    Guest

    Jorge Alberto Diaz Orozco <> wrote:
    > I want to use a reliable UDP connection like you say, a TCP like
    > connection but over UDP. thaks for your recomendation, if I get good
    > results I promise to share them.

    utalk (long since disappeared from the surface of the internet) did have
    such an implementation, and I once wrote a half-cooked python
    implementation of its semi-reliable protocol over UDP.

    Nowadays, I'd recommend using openvpn, or perhaps investigate the
    possibility of PPP over UDP, or maybe look into SCTP.

    | Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
    | __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

    , Jan 30, 2013