Re: pyrudp

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jan 30, 2013.

  1. On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Jorge Alberto Diaz Orozco
    <> wrote:
    > I want to use a reliable UDP connection like you say, a TCP like connection but over UDP. thaks for your recomendation, if I get good results I promise to share them.

    To get something reliable over UDP, you're going to need to
    acknowledge everything you're sent, and if you don't hear back an
    acknowledgement, re-send. Basically reimplement TCP, or parts of it.
    Why do you need to use UDP?

    I've used UDP for a number of purposes, but usually in a "fire and
    forget" system. For instance, my latest use of it was a peer-to-peer
    self-healing network; each node would broadcast a periodic UDP packet
    saying "Hi, I'm here, and here's my current status", and each node
    would keep track of the timestamp when it last received such a packet
    from each known IP address. If the time-since-last-received exceeds
    three broadcast intervals, the node is considered to be dead. But for
    this to work, I have to not care about individual packet loss; there
    is no data in the packet that won't be repeated in the next one. This
    is a reliable *system* built on UDP.

    Can you explain your goals and restrictions? Might help us figure out
    how to advise.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Jan 30, 2013