Re: Python 2.3 on RedHat 9

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bill Scherer, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Bill Scherer

    Bill Scherer Guest

    Stephen Ng wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Has anyone installed Python 2.3 on RedHat 9?

    Yes.

    > Did you install on top of Python 2.2 or did you install in a separate
    > directory (eg the default)?

    2.3 prefix is /usr/local, RedHat's installed python prefix is /usr

    > I'm trying to find out in advance if it's hassle free to install as I
    > am planning to do it.

    It's no hassle having them side by side, for me anyway.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Stephen Ng

    HTH,

    Bill
    Bill Scherer, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Bill Scherer

    simo Guest

    Bill Scherer <> wrote:

    > > Did you install on top of Python 2.2 or did you install in a separate
    > > directory (eg the default)?

    > 2.3 prefix is /usr/local, RedHat's installed python prefix is /usr

    Yes, and that seems to be the root of all evil for me - everything I
    install wants to go into the /usr/<lib or bin>/python2.2 directories
    instead of /usr/local/<lib or bin>/python2.3!

    Forget the RPMs, compile everything from source is my advice (I
    installed 2.3.3, VPython, Installer, wxPython, PyQt, SIPs,
    wxGlade....)

    What annoyed me was when I was evaluating LindowsOS and "apt-get
    install libwxgtk24" installed everything for me (including Python
    2.3.3!) in about 3 minutes as apposed to about 8 hours of compilation
    time and hunting around for source tarballs! It was even easier that
    Windows I think!
    simo, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Bill Scherer

    Bill Scherer Guest

    simo wrote:

    >Bill Scherer <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Did you install on top of Python 2.2 or did you install in a separate
    >>>directory (eg the default)?
    >>>

    >>2.3 prefix is /usr/local, RedHat's installed python prefix is /usr
    >>

    >Yes, and that seems to be the root of all evil for me - everything I
    >install wants to go into the /usr/<lib or bin>/python2.2 directories
    >instead of /usr/local/<lib or bin>/python2.3!
    >
    >Forget the RPMs,

    Many RPM's are relocatable; from the rpm man page:

    --prefix NEWPATH
    For relocateable binary packages, translate all file paths that
    start with the installation prefix in the package relocation
    hint(s) to NEWPATH.

    --relocate OLDPATH=NEWPATH
    For relocatable binary packages, translate all file paths that
    start with OLDPATH in the package relocation hint(s) to NEWPATH.
    This option can be used repeatedly if several OLDPATH’s in the
    package are to be relocated.

    >compile everything from source is my advice (I
    >installed 2.3.3, VPython, Installer, wxPython, PyQt, SIPs,
    >wxGlade....)
    >
    >What annoyed me was when I was evaluating LindowsOS and "apt-get
    >install libwxgtk24" installed everything for me (including Python
    >2.3.3!) in about 3 minutes as apposed to about 8 hours of compilation
    >time and hunting around for source tarballs! It was even easier that
    >Windows I think!

    I too compille most of the Python add-ons I use.
    It's never taken 8 hours....it must be the 3Ghz cpu...;-)
    Bill Scherer, Apr 16, 2004