Re: python 2.6 py2exe wx app fails

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robin Becker, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Robin Becker

    Robin Becker Guest

    On 22/04/2010 13:56, Robin Becker wrote:
    > I'm trying to move a wxPython application forward to 2.6, but although
    > the app runs fine in 2.6 when run directly when I build the app into an
    > exe using py2exe
    >
    > I get this popup message
    >
    > "application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)"
    >
    > when I try to run the built exe.
    >
    > The same application seems to build and run fine with python 2.5 py2exe.
    >
    > I've tried various googled "solutions", but none seem to work. I do
    > notice that the standard py2exe samples/advanced test_wx.exe also fails
    > when built in this way.
    >
    > I'm guessing this may be due to some obscure exe requirement with
    > manifests or something which varies depending on the base msvc library.
    > Any help much appreciated.

    After much faffing about I managed to make this work, it seems that the
    instructions here

    http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial#Step52

    aren't complete; for python 2.6 in addition to changing the runtime dll setup so
    that we copy MSVCR90.dll & Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest to a toplevel folder
    Microsoft.VC90.CRT, we also need to modify the embedded manifest to include an
    additional dependency

    ie

    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
    type="win32"
    name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
    version="9.0.21022.8"
    processorArchitecture="x86"
    publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"
    />
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>

    that seems to make the exe workable again. I did actually see this in a google,
    but it was for a different version of the dll so did not work when I first tried it.
    --
    Robin Becker

    Robin Becker, Apr 23, 2010