Re: python 3.0 or 3000 ....is it worth waiting??? Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean-Paul Calderone, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:13:46 -0000, "" <> wrote:
    >Hi
    >I'm considering learning Python...but with the python 3000 comming
    >very soon, is it worth waiting for?? I know that the old style of
    >coding python will run parallel with the new, but I mean, its going to
    >come to an end eventually.
    >
    >What do you think??
    >Chris

    Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language. If
    you learn Python 2.x, almost all of what you learn will be applicable to
    Python 3.x, if you ever choose to switch to it. Since the Python development
    team have promised tools for porting code and a Python 2.6 which will be
    completely backwards compatible with Python 2.5 as well as provide feedback
    about code which will not be compatible with Python 3.x
    (<http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=208549>), you'll be able to
    convert any code you write for Python 2.x into Python 3.x code easily.

    Jean-Paul

    Jean-Paul Calderone, Jul 3, 2007

  2. Jean-Paul Calderone

    Méta-MCI Guest

    Hi!

    > Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language

    One exemple : non-Ascii characters in identifiers (= no significatif
    change?)

    Michel Claveau

    Méta-MCI, Jul 3, 2007

  3. On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 19:54:57 +0200, Méta-MCI wrote:

    >> Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language

    > One exemple : non-Ascii characters in identifiers (= no significatif
    > change?)

    Not in the sense that old code doesn't work anymore. ASCII sources still
    work in Python 3000. And this change may be already in a Python 2.x
    before P3K.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Jul 3, 2007
  4. Jean-Paul Calderone

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2007-07-03, Méta-MCI <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    >> Python 3000 doesn't include many significant changes to the language

    > One exemple : non-Ascii characters in identifiers (= no significatif
    > change?)

    It is one of not many?

    --
    Neil Cerutti

    Neil Cerutti, Jul 3, 2007
  5. Jean-Paul Calderone

    MC Guest

    Hi!

    >> non-Ascii characters in identifiers

    > And this change may be already in a Python 2.x before P3K.

    Good new! (if it's True...)

    --
    @-salutations

    Michel Claveau