Re: [Python 3.3.0] Getting tkinter to work on Python 3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Lele Gaifax, Mar 18, 2013.

  1. Lele Gaifax

    Lele Gaifax Guest

    "Yves S. Garret" <> writes:

    > I have. This is what I did and the result that I'm seeing.
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install python3-tk

    You installed a "custom" python 3.3, didn't you? So it does not help
    installing Ubuntu's python3-tk: your python3.3 interpreter won't even
    look into "system" packages.

    Most probably, you need to install the proper development libraries and
    *recompile* the Python 3.3 interpreter:

    # apt-get install tk-dev

    ciao, lele.

    Lele Gaifax, Mar 18, 2013

  2. On Monday, March 18, 2013 2:39:57 PM UTC-4, Lele Gaifax wrote:
    > "Yves S. Garret" <> writes:
    >
    > > I have. This is what I did and the result that I'm seeing.
    > >
    > > $ sudo apt-get install python3-tk

    > You installed a "custom" python 3.3, didn't you? So it does not help
    > installing Ubuntu's python3-tk: your python3.3 interpreter won't even
    > look into "system" packages.
    >
    > Most probably, you need to install the proper development libraries and
    > *recompile* the Python 3.3 interpreter:
    >
    > # apt-get install tk-dev
    >
    > ciao, lele.
    > --
    > nickname: Lele Gaifax | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
    > real: Emanuele Gaifas | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.
    > | -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.

    Ok, it now seems to work. Weird. I had tk-dev installed (it seems) and then
    after I re-compiled my interpreter just now, it's working.

    Thanks for your help.

    Yves S. Garret, Mar 19, 2013

    Yves S. Garret, Mar 19, 2013
  4. Lele Gaifax

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 3/18/2013 9:52 PM, Yves S. Garret wrote:

    > Ok, it now seems to work. Weird. I had tk-dev installed (it seems)
    > and then after I re-compiled my interpreter just now, it's working.

    If your previous compilation was before tk-dev was installed, it will
    not have compiled _tkinter properly. On PC, one also has to re-compile
    after doing equivalent of downloading tk-dev.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Mar 19, 2013