Re: python 3 problem: how to convert an extension method into a classMethod

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robin Becker, Feb 27, 2013.

  1. Robin Becker

    Robin Becker Guest

    On 26/02/2013 18:38, Peter Otten wrote:
    > Robin Becker wrote:

    ............3:

    > $ python -m timeit -s 'from new import instancemethod
    >> from math import sqrt
    >> class A(int): pass
    >> A.m = instancemethod(sqrt, None, A)
    >> a = A(42)
    >> ' 'a.m()'

    > 1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.5 usec per loop
    > $ python -m timeit -s 'from math import sqrt
    >> class A(int):
    >> def m(self):
    >> return sqrt(self)
    >> a = A(42)
    >> ' 'a.m()'

    > 1000000 loops, best of 3: 0.473 usec per loop

    this analysis might be relevant if I wanted to use sqrt. However, in my case the
    method takes

    py C
    utf8 bytes 50 20 usec
    unicode 39 15

    here py refers to a native python method and C to the extension method after
    adding to the class. Both are called via an instance of the class.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Feb 27, 2013