Re: python and a 2 gigs Usb Stick (pure pythonic stick)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Chase, Dec 7, 2007.

  1. Tim Chase

    Tim Chase Guest

    > i've received for my birthday two usb key, and i had the idea to make
    > the 2GB one a special python usb key.
    > So far i've put on it :
    > Movable Python
    > My Python directory
    > Iron Python
    > Jython
    > Instant django
    >
    > the file installation for :
    > Python , iron python , jython , PIL , Pygame , Pywin32
    >
    > The pdf in a doc_programmation :
    > dive into python , programmting python
    >
    > What else should i add in this key in your opinion ?

    If providing Jython, do you need an install of the JVM/JRE or
    other Java dev-tools?

    I'd recommend some sort of version control software (Subversion,
    Mercurial, Bazaar, and Git stand out as reasonable choices in my
    research/experience, with RCS coming in as a fallback; CVS and
    the distributed VCS's such as Darcs fall lower on my list but
    some folks swear by 'em).

    Perhaps also include a movable version of your favorite editor?
    Nothing worse than getting stuck using Notepad, edit, or edlin ;)

    Given that the above list of contents shouldn't come remotely
    close to a quarter of the space on the stick (exceptions possibly
    made depending on your editor and JRE requirements), you could
    install a USB-stick version of Linux, add all the above, and
    then just boot off the USB stick into a premade environment you
    can take with you.

    Just a few ideas,

    -tkc
    Tim Chase, Dec 7, 2007