Re: Python and Facebook

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jun 24, 2012.

  1. On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Jerry Rocteur <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I posted this mail on Friday and received no replies..
    >
    > I'm curious..
    >
    > Is it because
    >
    > 1) Python is not the language to use for Facebook, use Javascript or XXX
    > ?? instead ? Please tell.
    > 2) I've missed the point and this is very well documented so RTFM (I
    > couldn't find it)
    > 3) You guys don't use Facebook, you have a life ..

    I personally don't use Facebook, but I don't have much of a life
    either..... But I've never heard of a specific Python-Facebook module,
    until just now when I googled it and found a couple of things.

    Two points:

    1) Python's pretty good at networking. If all else fails, you can
    always just implement whatever Facebook's API is (the Google snippets
    suggest it's REST, ie all HTTP, which Python does admirably), and go
    from there.

    2) An active Python-Facebook module will have active developers who
    probably know far more about how to use their module than random
    people like me who happen to read all of python-list :) There may well
    be such people on this list, but since you've received no replies,
    it's possible there aren't. (It's also possible that they don't
    monitor this list on weekends, though. You never know.)

    3) What do Facebook think of you downloading all their content and
    viewing it without their ads? Not that I particularly care, but it may
    be something to consider, since you're effectively going to get
    everything that Facebook offers you (ie posts/pics/etc) without
    everything that Facebook steals from you and sells (page views, ad
    impressions, etc).

    (Among our points are such diverse elements as... wrong Pythons, but whatever.)

    There's no official Python-Facebook module (afaik!!), but a quick web
    search for 'python facebook' should get you to the couple that I saw,
    and possibly others. The next question is, do you trust any of them...
    Good luck with that one! :)

    Chris Angelico

    Chris Angelico, Jun 24, 2012