Re: Python and Jython

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Curran, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Peter Curran

    Peter Curran Guest

    Hello -

    I think either way is fine. I learned python (aka c-python) first,
    then jython. I work with a product that embeds jython as a mechanism
    for writing scripts against a java api, so I use jython every day, but
    I write all of my code in pythonwin (from a company called active
    state) which is designed for python not jython.

    The bummer about this is that I can't debug my jython scripts in
    pythonwin live against the java server, but pythonwin makes it
    worthwhile with some nice frills such as indentation guides, syntax
    colorizing, some intellisense, an interactive window, and a syntax
    checker - so when I deploy for interpretation by jython my code is 99%
    OK. The point is that I use a c-python ide for jython and it makes
    almost no difference, so I don't think it matters which you learn
    first.

    As a java programmer you'll probably find that jython is a great RAD
    tool - you may even start to write everything in jython first!

    Btw, Pythonwin is free - or it used to be, go to www.activestate.com

    Happy coding.

    Peter Curran, Jun 24, 2003