Re: python application file format

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dieter Maurer, Sep 27, 2012.

  1. Benjamin Jessup <> writes:

    > What do people recommend for a file format for a python desktop
    > application? Data is complex with 100s/1000s of class instances, which
    > reference each other.

    > Use cPickle with a module/class whitelist? (Can't easily port, not
    > entirely safe, compact enough, expandable)

    This is the approach used by the ZODB (Zope Object DataBase).

    I like the ZODB. It is really quite easy to get data persisted.
    It uses an elaborate caching scheme to speed up database interaction
    and has transaction control to ensure persistent data consistency
    in case of errors.

    Maybe not so relevant in your context, it does not require
    locking to safely access persistent data in a multi thread environment.

    Dieter Maurer, Sep 27, 2012