Re: python based tools for developing web-based apps

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alex Martelli, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Joost van Rooij wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > For business purposes I would like to develop several web based
    > application,
    > all based on the the same foundation. I looked at several options like
    > zope, mod_py, webware, skunkweb.
    >
    > Based on the information I found, I now basically considder two options
    > 1. writing a xml-rpc server in Python which provides all the logic. And a
    > seperate frontend in php which reads the data from the Python xml-rpc
    > server and presents it in nice html. (Won't this be a performance hog?)
    > 2. write it on top of a application server like webware or skunkweb. (Are
    > these projects mature enough?)

    I would consider Webware for Python very mature and stable, quite suitable
    for any kind of production-level deployment. Personally, I'm trying out
    CherryPy these days, and I love what I see -- but I have as yet no idea
    about the stability, scalability, and so on. With Webware, you're going
    for the most solid and proven solution. I don't see any advantage with
    doing the presentation in PHP -- Webware supports excellent templating
    (Cheetah), servlets, AND if you insist "embed Python in HTML" too, and you
    can mix-and-match if you need to.

    > 3. any other good idea, I haven't thought of.... :)

    Twisted -- a great solution if you have the option of deploying a
    self-sufficient server rather than having to run on top of Apache or
    the like. I think Webware is easier to program at the application
    level, and it gives you many more deployment options, but Twisted's
    performance and scalability are nothing short of amazing -- and if
    you need to add more and more protocols, not just HTTP, Twisted's
    flexibility is gonna pay for itself.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Aug 18, 2003