Re: Python based unacceptable language filter

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Pratt, Oct 3, 2005.

  1. David Pratt

    David Pratt Guest

    Hi. Thank you for the links. I am looking for something that would
    function in a similar way to Yahoo's filter for it's message boards.
    Perhaps I should have used the term profanity instead of unacceptable
    language. I am not concerned about correcting sentence structure or
    poor grammar.

    I realize screening profanity can be accomplished by simply looping
    over regular expressions from a database or dictionary to search the
    text to check against possibilities . I thought it possible that there
    may be something like this already in existence, perhaps already in a
    module since it is likely (despite how absurd) - that someone has
    developed a dictionary of profane word expressions I suspect. What's is
    perhaps more crazy, is that one has to consider including something
    like this in an application - but you have to conclude the Internet is
    what it is.

    Regards
    David

    From Yahoo:
    "The Profanity Filter allows you to control how you want to view
    messages with profanity in two ways. You can choose to view the
    messages with the profanity masked with italcized symbols (@$&% ), or
    you can have the messages containing profanity hidden entirely.

    You can also choose between a weak setting for exact word matches or a
    strong setting that will filter spelling variations."

    Well I know this thread is a

    David Pratt, Oct 3, 2005

  2. "David Pratt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. Thank you for the links. I am looking for something that would
    > function in a similar way to Yahoo's filter for it's message boards.
    > Perhaps I should have used the term profanity instead of unacceptable
    > language. I am not concerned about correcting sentence structure or
    > poor grammar.

    Yo melonfarmer, you should watch the non-profane version of Repo-Man for
    inspiration - ;-)

    PS:

    Sites like "The Profanisaurus" provides plenty of workarounds for most of
    the filters out there.

    Frithiof Andreas Jensen, Oct 4, 2005