Re: [Python-Dev] experimental: Misc/NEWS included in docs

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Jerdonek, Sep 30, 2012.

  1. On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Georg Brandl <> wrote:
    > at http://docs.python.org/3.3/whatsnew/news.html, there is now
    > a rendering of Misc/NEWS with tracker links and a crude filtering
    > capability. I thought that this will complement the "whatsnew"
    > documents nicely for people looking for more detail.
    >
    > Please let me know if it's useful, or what could be done to make
    > it *more* useful.

    Good idea. Some suggestions:

    * A note at the top explaining what this page is and how it differs
    from the other What's New page (including perhaps a link to the other
    What's New page). It might also be good if the two had more
    distinctive titles. They are currently "What’s New in Python" and
    "Python News."

    * It would be good if the section links could somehow be
    "perma-links." They will currently vary over time, e.g.
    http://docs.python.org/py3k/whatsnew/news.html#id3

    * Lastly, I think skimming this list would be more informative to me
    at least if each bullet began with the name of the affected module or
    area (at least in the case where just one module is affected). The
    issue number is less meaningful as a descriptive header. Changing
    this would likely require changes in how we prepare Misc/NEWS though.

    On a separate but related note, I never know where to put the various
    subsections in relation to one another in Misc/NEWS (Core and
    Builtins, Library, Extension Modules, etc). It would be good if there
    was guidance on that -- even if to say it completely doesn't matter.

    --Chris
    Chris Jerdonek, Sep 30, 2012