Re: [Python-Dev] multiprocessing vs. distributed processing

Discussion in 'Python' started by James Mills, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. James Mills

    James Mills Guest

    On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Matthieu Brucher
    <> wrote:
    > 2009/1/16 James Mills <>:
    >> I've noticed over the past few weeks lots of questions
    >> asked about multi-processing (including myself).

    > Funny, I was going to blog about this, but not just for Python.
    >
    >> For those of you new to multi-processing, perhaps this
    >> thread may help you. Some things I want to start off
    >> with to point out are:
    >>
    >> "multiprocessing will not always help you get things done faster."

    > Of course. There are some programs that are I/O or memory bandwidth
    > bound. So if one of those bottlenecks is common to the cores you use,
    > you can't benefit from their use.
    >
    >> "be aware of I/O bound applications vs. CPU bound"

    > Exactly. We read a lot about Folding@Home, SETI@Home, they can be
    > distributed, as it is more or less "take a chunk, process it somewhere
    > and when you're finish tell me if there something interesting in it".
    > Not a lot of communications between the nodes. Then, there are other
    > applications that process a lot of data, they must read data from
    > memory, make one computation, read other data, compute a little bit
    > (finite difference schemes), and here we are memory bandwidth bound,
    > not CPU bound.
    >
    >> "multiple CPUs (cores) can compute multiple concurrent expressions -
    >> not read 2 files concurrently"

    > Let's say that this is true for the usual computers. Clusters can make
    > concurrent reads, as long as there is the correct architecture behind.
    > Of course, if you only have one hard disk, you are limited.
    >
    >> "in some cases, you may be after distributed processing rather than
    >> multi or parallel processing"

    > Of course. Clusters can be expensive, their interconnections even
    > more. So if your application is made of independent blocks that can
    > run on small nodes, without much I/Os, you can try distributed
    > computing. If you need big nodes with high-speed interconnections, you
    > will have to use parallel processing.
    >
    > This is just what my thoughts on the sucjet are, but I think I'm not
    > far from the truth. Of course, if I'm proved wrong, I'll be glad to
    > hear why.

    Thank you Matthieu for your response.
    Very good comments on some of the points
    I raised. Hopefully those interested in the topic
    will learn from this thread.

    cheers
    James

    PS: I assumed you meant to post back to the list and not just me :)
    James Mills, Jan 16, 2009