Re: [Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1

Discussion in 'Python' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Anthony Baxter wrote:
    > On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    > happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.1 (release candidate 1).
    >
    > Python 2.4.1 is a bug-fix release. See the release notes at the website
    > (also available as Misc/NEWS in the source distribution) for details of
    > the bugs squished in this release.

    I'd like to encourage feedback on whether the Windows installer works
    for people. It replaces the VBScript part in the MSI package with native
    code, which ought to drop the dependency on VBScript, but might
    introduce new incompatibilities.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > Anthony Baxter wrote:
    >
    >> On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    >> happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.1 (release candidate 1).
    >>
    >> Python 2.4.1 is a bug-fix release. See the release notes at the website
    >> (also available as Misc/NEWS in the source distribution) for details of
    >> the bugs squished in this release.

    > I'd like to encourage feedback on whether the Windows installer works
    > for people. It replaces the VBScript part in the MSI package with native
    > code, which ought to drop the dependency on VBScript, but might
    > introduce new incompatibilities.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Hi Martin,

    is there a reason why msiexec iterates through what looks like all (?)
    files and directories in/under the destination directory? There is
    massive file I/O going on there (OK, by now you know I didn't de-install
    2.4 before trying ;-)) which explains the 100% CPU usage and the time it
    takes for the Next button to respond.

    --

    Vincent Wehren
    Vincent Wehren, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Vincent Wehren wrote:
    > is there a reason why msiexec iterates through what looks like all (?)
    > files and directories in/under the destination directory? There is
    > massive file I/O going on there (OK, by now you know I didn't de-install
    > 2.4 before trying ;-)) which explains the 100% CPU usage and the time it
    > takes for the Next button to respond.

    I think it is trying to estimate disk usage. To compute the disk usage
    correctly, you need to find out
    - what files are new files
    - what files are going to be deleted
    - what files are goging to be replaced
    - what files are going to stay

    To make this determination, it not only needs to find the names and
    sizes of all files, but it also tries to determine a file version.

    If a file is to be replaced, you need the disk space of both the
    old and the new file temporarily, because you might need to rollback
    the installation if the user cancels or some error occurs. For a new
    file, you only need to consider the space of the file itself.

    Unfortunately, Python files don't have version information at all
    in them, but installer doesn't know this - so it looks into every
    file.

    If you are adventurous, you can try to take the FileCost action
    out of the sequence table (use orca.exe from the SDK to do so);
    however, I don't think I would like to do that in the "official"
    installer, since people should know in advance if the installation
    will exhaust the disk space.

    To speed up the installation, it is probably better to uninstall
    first, then install the new package, as installer will then
    quickly detect that all files are new.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > Vincent Wehren wrote:
    >
    >> is there a reason why msiexec iterates through what looks like all (?)
    >> files and directories in/under the destination directory? There is
    >> massive file I/O going on there (OK, by now you know I didn't
    >> de-install 2.4 before trying ;-)) which explains the 100% CPU usage
    >> and the time it takes for the Next button to respond.

    > I think it is trying to estimate disk usage. To compute the disk usage
    > correctly, you need to find out
    > - what files are new files
    > - what files are going to be deleted
    > - what files are goging to be replaced
    > - what files are going to stay

    Ah! Thanks for explaining. So this also explains why the indicated
    required disk space on the Customize dialog with the "Python" item
    selected was a mere 673kb (or was it 637kb - don't recall exactly) -
    this must the size difference between 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 then...

    --

    Vincent Wehren
    Vincent Wehren, Mar 13, 2005