Re: [Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brian van den Broek, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Martin v. Löwis said unto the world upon 2005-03-10 20:55:
    > Anthony Baxter wrote:
    >
    >> On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    >> happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.1 (release candidate 1).

    <SNIP>

    > I'd like to encourage feedback on whether the Windows installer works
    > for people. It replaces the VBScript part in the MSI package with native
    > code, which ought to drop the dependency on VBScript, but might
    > introduce new incompatibilities.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Seems to have successfully installed for me on Windows Me.

    A comment about the msi process: even though I set it to install to a
    different directory, 2.4.1c1 clobbered my 2.4 install. I remember
    reading something somewhere such that I expected this, but a quick
    glance at the obvious places for the 2.4.1c1 doesn't produce anything,
    nor does the install process itself explain that this will happen.

    Perhaps its not a big deal, but I'd prefer the install process to
    inform me if it detected a previous install and intended to remove it.

    Best to all,

    Brian vdB
    Brian van den Broek, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Brian van den Broek wrote:
    > A comment about the msi process: even though I set it to install to a
    > different directory, 2.4.1c1 clobbered my 2.4 install. I remember
    > reading something somewhere such that I expected this, but a quick
    > glance at the obvious places for the 2.4.1c1 doesn't produce anything,
    > nor does the install process itself explain that this will happen.
    >
    > Perhaps its not a big deal, but I'd prefer the install process to inform
    > me if it detected a previous install and intended to remove it.

    Having both 2.4 and 2.4.1 on the same machine is not supported, as there
    is only one python24.dll - atleast if this is an "allusers" installation.

    I'll see what I can do wrt. telling the user, but I may not find the
    time; contributions are welcome.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Mar 14, 2005