Re: python docs search for 'print'

Discussion in 'Python' started by Joel Goldstick, Sep 4, 2012.

  1. On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM, David Hoese <> wrote:
    > A friend made me aware of this:
    > When a python beginner (2.x) quick searches for "print" on docs.python.org,
    > the print function doesn't even come up in the top 20 results.

    > -Dave

    That's pretty interesting. I always use google python <whatever> and
    get very results. Not a correction for what you think isn't working
    well on python.org (I think I agree)., but if your friend is looking
    to learn, my suggestion works great

    --
    Joel Goldstick

    Joel Goldstick, Sep 4, 2012

  2. On 2012-09-04, Joel Goldstick <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM, David Hoese <> wrote:
    >> A friend made me aware of this:
    >> When a python beginner (2.x) quick searches for "print" on
    >> docs.python.org, the print function doesn't even come up in the top
    >> 20 results.

    > That's pretty interesting. I always use google python <whatever> and
    > get very results. Not a correction for what you think isn't working
    > well on python.org (I think I agree)., but if your friend is looking
    > to learn, my suggestion works great

    googling "site:python.org <whatever>" also works nicely if you know
    what you want is on the python.org site. I never bother with the
    site's search function -- the results are always far better using
    google. [This isn't a particular fault of the python.org site, I find
    the same is true for pretty much every site I've ever used.]

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
    at be flung by members of

    Grant Edwards, Sep 4, 2012