Re: python docs search for 'print'

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Sep 4, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 9/4/2012 6:32 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

    >> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM, David Hoese <> wrote:
    >>> A friend made me aware of this:
    >>> When a python beginner (2.x) quick searches for "print" on
    >>> docs.python.org,
    >>> the print function doesn't even come up in the top 20 results.

    > In the Windows Help version of the docs, enter print in the index tab
    > and print builtin function is at the top. Same is true of the online
    > index. (There are only three 'print' entries. There is a duplicate for
    > the builtin and one for the fixer. Moral: look for things that would be
    > indexed in the index. Searching for a word in text, especially a common
    > one like print, brings in lots of junk.

    Search rather blindly searches pages for words. As an experiment, I
    entered 'print' on the search tab of the 3.3 Windows-version doc. It
    found 193 pages containing 'print'. The builtin functions page was
    ranked 75. It is a fairly long page with just 3 occurences of 'print'.

    To repeat, use the index to find defining entries for Python objects.

    If someone wants to volunteer to write a more intelligent search
    algorithm, that incorporates info from the index and markup, feel free.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Sep 4, 2012