Re: Python does not take up available physical memory

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Pradipto Banerjee
    <> wrote:
    > I am trying to read a file into memory. The size of the file is around 1 GB.
    > I have a 3GB memory PC and the Windows Task Manager shows 2.3 GB available
    > physical memory when I was trying to read the file. I tried to read the file
    > as follows:

    Is this Python 2 or Python 3? Just throwing a random possibility out
    there, could it be that reading it in and converting it to Unicode
    text requires more memory than you have?

    My recommendation: Unless you actually need to search the whole file
    as a single string, iterate over the file instead:

    for line in open(filename):
    # do something with line

    Your loop will execute once for each line in the file.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Oct 19, 2012