Re: python.exe vs pythonw.exe difference?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Heller, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. "Tim Peters" <> writes:

    > [Thomas Heller]
    >> [I'm currently reading python-list via the gmane nntp interface, I
    >> don't know whether there really is a gmane.comp.web.zope.devel
    >> newsgroup]

    > I don't know either, so I'll copy you directly.

    It seems to exist, but I don't read it - so this is a good idea.

    > [Tim]

    [script, writing to sys.stderr and/or sys.stdout]
    >>> Under Win98SE, and regardless of whether it writes to stdout or
    >>> stderr, it dies when run under pythonw, and tb.txt contains this
    >>> after:
    >>>
    >>> Died when trying to write byte 4097
    >>> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >>> File "wr.py", line 14, in ?
    >>> console.write('.')
    >>> IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

    > [Thomas]
    >> I get exactly the same, on Win XP Pro, both for sys.stdout and
    >> sys.stderr.

    > That's good to know! Thanks.

    >> Since it seems XP shows the same behaviour than win98SE, has the
    >> behaviour of Python changed? Were IOErrors ignored on sys.stdout or
    >> sys.stderr in earlier versions?

    > No, the same program fails the same way here under pythonw 2.2.3 and 2.1.3
    > (with s/file/open/ and s/True/1/). The OP wasn't clear about what "it"
    > meant, though (in "it used to work"). I guess it's most likely he meant
    > running Zope 2.5 as a service used to work, not that running Zope 2.5 by
    > hand from a DOS box with pythonw used to work, but don't know. It's
    > certainly possible that something relevant changed in Zope, and/or in how
    > Zope tries to live with Windows services.
    >
    >> IIRC, /F first proposed that pythonw.exe should create a console to
    >> have a place to show tracebacks. Sounds like a good idea to me.

    > Some way of having pythonw not drop output into the bit bucket has sounded
    > like a good idea to everyone for about a decade now <wink>.

    That may be, and the idea sounds even better if pythonw 'crashes' when
    the bit bucket is full.

    > ideas-ain't-code-ly y'rs - tim

    Sure ;-)

    Thomas