Re: Python for philosophers

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Janssen, May 11, 2013.

  1. Mark Janssen

    Mark Janssen Guest

    On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Citizen Kant <> wrote:
    >[...] the starting question I make to myself about Python is: which is the single
    > and most basic use of Python as the entity it is? I mean, beside
    > programming, what's the single and most basic result one can expect from
    > "interacting" with it directly (interactive mode)? I roughly came to the
    > idea that Python could be considered as an economic mirror for data, one
    > that mainly mirrors the data the programmer types on its black surface, not
    > exactly as the programmer originally typed it, but expressed in the most
    > economic way possible. That's to say, for example, if one types >>>1+1
    > Python reflects >>>2. When data appears between apostrophes, then the mirror
    > reflects, again, the same but expressed in the most economic way possible
    > (that's to say without the apostrophes).


    Wow. You must be from another planet. Find Socrates if you wish to
    know these things. He's from there also.

    A-dam.
     
    Mark Janssen, May 11, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mark Janssen

    alex23 Guest

    On 12 May, 06:10, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    > Wow.  You must be from another planet.  Find Socrates if you wish to
    > know these things.  He's from there also.


    Now now, there's no need for a turf war, there's plenty of room on
    this list for crazies.
     
    alex23, May 11, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mark Janssen

    rusi Guest

    On May 12, 3:16 am, alex23 <> wrote:
    > On 12 May, 06:10, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    > > Wow.  You must be from another planet.  Find Socrates if you wish to
    > > know these things.  He's from there also.

    >
    > Now now, there's no need for a turf war, there's plenty of room on
    > this list for crazies.


    I'm reminded of this:

    Conversation between inmate and attendant in an asylum

    Inmate: I am Napoleon
    Attendant: Yes of course. But how did you know that?
    Inmate: God himself told me s…
    [Loud voice from another corner] I told you no such thing!
     
    rusi, May 12, 2013
    #3
  4. Mark Janssen

    rusi Guest

    On May 12, 9:22 am, rusi <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 3:16 am, alex23 <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 12 May, 06:10, Mark Janssen <> wrote:

    >
    > > > Wow.  You must be from another planet.  Find Socrates if you wishto
    > > > know these things.  He's from there also.

    >
    > > Now now, there's no need for a turf war, there's plenty of room on
    > > this list for crazies.

    >
    > I'm reminded of this:
    >
    > Conversation between inmate and attendant in an asylum
    >
    > Inmate: I am Napoleon
    > Attendant: Yes of course. But how did you know that?
    > Inmate: God himself told me s…
    > [Loud voice from another corner] I told you no such thing!


    I have on occasion expressed that newcomers to this list should be
    treated with more gentleness than others.
    And since my own joking may be taken amiss, let me hasten to add (to
    the OP -- Citizen Kant)

    What you are looking for is more in line with what is called
    'rewriting systems'
    And the shortening you talk of is usually called 'canonical form' or
    'normal form'

    Python is closer to such than traditional imperative/OO languages like
    C/C++/Java, though other languages -- usually called 'functional
    language' are generally closer to this ideal.

    The most mainstream of these today is probably 'Haskell'
    For your purposes however you may want to look at functional languages
    that are more explicitly based on rewriting such as 'Pure' (earlier
    'Q')

    For last http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_(programming_language)

    For rest: Ive tried to put into quotes things that could he helpful
    starting points for search engine research
     
    rusi, May 12, 2013
    #4
  5. On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM, rusi <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 3:16 am, alex23 <> wrote:
    >> On 12 May, 06:10, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Wow. You must be from another planet. Find Socrates if you wish to
    >> > know these things. He's from there also.

    >>
    >> Now now, there's no need for a turf war, there's plenty of room on
    >> this list for crazies.

    >
    > I'm reminded of this:
    >
    > Conversation between inmate and attendant in an asylum
    >
    > Inmate: I am Napoleon
    > Attendant: Yes of course. But how did you know that?
    > Inmate: God himself told me s…
    > [Loud voice from another corner] I told you no such thing!


    Who's been telling you of private conversations between Steven and me?

    ChrisA
     
    Chris Angelico, May 12, 2013
    #5
  6. On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:45:12 -0700, rusi wrote:

    > I have on occasion expressed that newcomers to this list should be
    > treated with more gentleness than others. And since my own joking may be
    > taken amiss, let me hasten to add (to the OP -- Citizen Kant)


    A noble aim, but I have a feeling that "Citizen Kant" is version 2.0 of
    88888 Dihedral.

    Of course, I could be wrong.


    --
    Steven
     
    Steven D'Aprano, May 12, 2013
    #6
  7. On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Steven D'Aprano
    <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:45:12 -0700, rusi wrote:
    >
    >> I have on occasion expressed that newcomers to this list should be
    >> treated with more gentleness than others. And since my own joking may be
    >> taken amiss, let me hasten to add (to the OP -- Citizen Kant)

    >
    > A noble aim, but I have a feeling that "Citizen Kant" is version 2.0 of
    > 88888 Dihedral.
    >
    > Of course, I could be wrong.


    Without benefit of the doubt, kindness is impossible. I would suggest
    giving newcomers at least that much.

    -- Devin
     
    Devin Jeanpierre, May 12, 2013
    #7
  8. On Sun, 12 May 2013 04:15:30 -0400, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:

    > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Steven D'Aprano
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:45:12 -0700, rusi wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have on occasion expressed that newcomers to this list should be
    >>> treated with more gentleness than others. And since my own joking may
    >>> be taken amiss, let me hasten to add (to the OP -- Citizen Kant)

    >>
    >> A noble aim, but I have a feeling that "Citizen Kant" is version 2.0 of
    >> 88888 Dihedral.
    >>
    >> Of course, I could be wrong.

    >
    > Without benefit of the doubt, kindness is impossible.


    That is a logical non sequitor. One can choose to be kind to someone even
    if you have no doubt that they do not deserve it.

    Besides, kindness is hard to define. Is it kinder to give somebody what
    they want, or what they need?

    > I would suggest giving newcomers at least that much.


    I'm happy to say that, based on Citizen Kant's second post, I'm now
    reasonably confident that (s)he is not a bot. No mere artificial
    intelligence could have written that second post.



    --
    Steven
     
    Steven D'Aprano, May 12, 2013
    #8
  9. On 12 May 2013 05:17:57 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:45:12 -0700, rusi wrote:
    >
    > > I have on occasion expressed that newcomers to this list should be
    > > treated with more gentleness than others. And since my own joking may be
    > > taken amiss, let me hasten to add (to the OP -- Citizen Kant)

    >
    > A noble aim, but I have a feeling that "Citizen Kant" is version 2.0 of
    > 88888 Dihedral.
    >
    > Of course, I could be wrong.


    Oh dear... You imply that v2.0 can /initiate/ threads, not just
    reply to them?
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
     
    Dennis Lee Bieber, May 12, 2013
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Citizen Kant

    Python for philosophers

    Citizen Kant, May 11, 2013, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    172
    Ramchandra Apte
    May 15, 2013
  2. Fábio Santos

    Re: Python for philosophers

    Fábio Santos, May 11, 2013, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    141
    Fábio Santos
    May 11, 2013
  3. Ned Batchelder

    Re: Python for philosophers

    Ned Batchelder, May 12, 2013, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    125
    Ned Batchelder
    May 12, 2013
  4. Joel Goldstick

    Re: Python for philosophers

    Joel Goldstick, May 12, 2013, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    125
    Joel Goldstick
    May 12, 2013
  5. Citizen Kant

    Re: Python for philosophers

    Citizen Kant, May 12, 2013, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    192
    Michael Torrie
    May 19, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page