Re: Python: GUI Builder

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stewart Midwinter, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:07:12 +0530
    Anand K Rayudu <> spake thusly:

    > I am new to python & want to build some GUI dialogs.
    > Can some one please suggest some document reference.

    Anand:

    I've been through this quite recently, and am still on the steep end of the
    learning curve.

    Sounds like you are toward the 'leisure class' end of the Pythonista scale. If
    so, you may be most interesteed in easygui. It's a subset of the Tkinter
    widgets, but without the event-driven programming that other toolsets require
    you to painfully learn. You can use it for procedural types of events.

    easygui doesn't require that you install anything beyond Tkinter, which is
    standard in Python.

    If you're a little further along the curve, maybe you want to try Tkinter
    itself. Fredrick Lundh's 1999 book is a good start. But I found chapters 6-9
    of Mark Lutz' Programming Python book, 2001, to have some pertinent examples
    and an approach that builds skill upon skill.

    There are a number of books and websites out there on Tkinter, making it the
    best documented of the toolkits.

    While you're looking at Tkinter, take a look at the Pmw set of widgets that
    extend Tkinter's basic set. The demo for Pmw is a great way to examine the
    source code for these widgets and see how they work. I posted an example on
    the list earlier today.

    are others as well. These are a good set to start with.

    cheers,
    --
    Stewart Midwinter
    running on Mandrake Linux 9.2

    Umwelt schuetzen, Rad benuetzen!

    Stewart Midwinter, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Stewart Midwinter

    Fuzzyman Guest

    [snip..]

    > If you're a little further along the curve, maybe you want to try Tkinter
    > itself. Fredrick Lundh's 1999 book is a good start. But I found chapters 6-9
    > of Mark Lutz' Programming Python book, 2001, to have some pertinent examples
    > and an approach that builds skill upon skill.

    I've recently 'dived into Tkinter' and found the Programming Python
    book *very* helpful.

    There is a fair bit to learn before you can start doing useful stuff -
    but once you've got your head round the basics it's not too difficult.

    If you want a simple program with a Tkinter GUI to use as examples
    then :

    a) my Nanagram program ;-)
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/nanagram.html

    or

    b) sourceforge has a couple of very simple text editors that use
    Tkinter and demonstrate a very simple Tkitner framework.

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Feb 27, 2004