Re: Python GUI

Discussion in 'Python' started by Philip Semanchuk, Oct 26, 2009.

  1. On Oct 25, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Ronn Ross wrote:

    > I need to create a gui for python. I'm looking for something that is
    > easy to
    > learn and cross platform. Any suggestions? If you have any good
    > tutorials
    > please send along. Thanks in advance.

    wxPython (which wraps wxWidgets) is popular and IMO reasonably well
    laid out. I hear great things about PyQt (which wraps QT) but I
    haven't used it. PySide is a new wrapper for QT that has generated a
    lot of excitement but is still its infancy, I think.

    HTH
    Philip

    Philip Semanchuk, Oct 26, 2009

  2. On 2009-10-26, Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:

    > On Oct 25, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Ronn Ross wrote:
    >
    >> I need to create a gui for python. I'm looking for something that is
    >> easy to
    >> learn and cross platform. Any suggestions? If you have any good
    >> tutorials
    >> please send along. Thanks in advance.

    > wxPython (which wraps wxWidgets) is popular and IMO reasonably well
    > laid out.

    I wouldn't call wxPython easy to learn. (It is, however, what
    I use when I need a cross-platform GUI.) IMO, Tkinter is much
    easier to learn. But, it doesn't use native widgets, so Tkinter
    apps look like Tkinter apps rather than like other native apps.

    > I hear great things about PyQt (which wraps QT) but I haven't
    > used it. PySide is a new wrapper for QT that has generated a
    > lot of excitement but is still its infancy, I think.

    I've always intended to look into pyFLTK, but have never had
    time to do more than a simple "hello world" program.

    --
    Grant

    Grant Edwards, Oct 26, 2009

  3. Philip Semanchuk

    eb303 Guest

    On Oct 26, 3:53 am, Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > On 2009-10-26, Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 25, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Ronn Ross wrote:

    > >> I need to create a gui for python. I'm looking for something that is
    > >> easy to
    > >> learn and cross platform. Any suggestions? If you have any good
    > >> tutorials
    > >> please send along. Thanks in advance.

    > > wxPython (which wraps wxWidgets) is popular and IMO reasonably well
    > > laid out.

    > I wouldn't call wxPython easy to learn. (It is, however, what
    > I use when I need a cross-platform GUI.) IMO, Tkinter is much
    > easier to learn. But, it doesn't use native widgets, so Tkinter
    > apps look like Tkinter apps rather than like other native apps.

    Not anymore: tcl/tk 8.5 now includes the ttk themed widget set, which
    can be made to use native widgets by setting the proper theme.

    > > I hear great things about PyQt (which wraps QT) but I haven't
    > > used it. PySide is a new wrapper for QT that has generated a
    > > lot of excitement but is still its infancy, I think.

    > I've always intended to look into pyFLTK, but have never had
    > time to do more than a simple "hello world" program.

    Does FLTK support native widgets? Last time I looked, it didn't seem
    to... But it was quite a long time ago.

    eb303, Oct 26, 2009