Re: Python .ico

Discussion in 'Python' started by Adelein and Jeremy, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. > From: (Michael Scarlett)
    > Date: 21 Jul 2004 13:30:19 -0700
    > Subject: Python .ico
    >
    > I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its
    > such
    > an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I
    > can't
    > help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or
    > at
    > least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
    > looking .py icon.
    > We need a icon that reflects python. Robust, flexible and
    > Effective.
    > Something that says "we get the job done right and the code is
    > tight".
    > Eat that!!
    >

    > Anybody else think GVR and the PSF should put that in the next
    > release? I know it sounds silly. but I'm kinda tired of Python
    > being
    > taken too lightly. Python rules. applications like ZOPE, Mailman
    > and
    > BitTorrent are proving that. Let's step it up a notch any how we
    > can.
    >
    > ---BitShadow

    Wasn't someone just two months ago suggesting that we drop the
    reference to Monty Python in favor a more "serious"
    mascot/inspiration? What does any of this really mean anyway? Who
    cares? If you want a different icon, make one in an icon editor. If
    you think it's cool, send it to python.org. If the language
    maintainers think it's worthwhile when they look at it in between
    writing prototypes for PEPs and releasing bugfixes and doing other,
    *useful* things, then they may just add it to the site and offer it
    to others.

    But why they should be told that their image is lacking when they are
    busting their humps is beyond me. And what good will an icon do in
    the next release? If you know it's a serious language, you download
    Python - and if you download Python you (hypothetically) get the new
    icon. How did that attract new users away from Java? You had to
    download Python first. And even so, are you suggesting that an icon
    on a GUI menu (which I, for one, do not have) will be the mark of a
    serious program? I think what Python needs in order to win over those
    Java drones (and only in certain circumstances, of course - since the
    languages are not meant for exactly the same problem domains) is some
    users who voice their opinions to educational institutions. In the
    80s Pascal was taught in CS courses - in the late 80s and early 90s,
    there were many apps being written in Pascal. In the 90s, C++ was
    taught in the majority of CS courses - in the late 90s and now, most
    apps are written in C++. And this [admittedly simplified] trend
    extends before that. Why don't you advocate for Python at a local (or
    remote) university? Or are you waiting for a "serious" icon so that
    educators will take you seriously?

    Or maybe I am simply feeding the troll here.
    - Jeremy

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    Adelein and Jeremy, Jul 22, 2004

  2. >
    > Or maybe I am simply feeding the troll here.
    > - Jeremy

    I think the latter. But you are right. I really should work on an
    image in a Icon editor and submit it as a proposal. Your absolutely
    right.

    on another note, I've never seen the icon on linux anyone have a link
    to how it looks?

    Michael Scarlett, Jul 22, 2004