Re: [Python-ideas] with statement syntax forces ugly line breaks?

Discussion in 'Python' started by MRAB, Sep 8, 2010.

  1. MRAB

    MRAB Guest

    On 08/09/2010 19:07, Georg Brandl wrote:
    > Thus spake the Lord: Thou shalt indent with four spaces. No more, no
    > less. Four shall be the number of spaces thou shalt indent, and the
    > number of thy indenting shall be four. Eight shalt thou not indent,
    > nor either indent thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to four.
    > Tabs are right out.

    FYI, that should be "thine indenting".

    "My/thy" before a consonant, "mine/thine" before a vowel. Compare with
    "a/an", which we still do.

    MRAB, Sep 8, 2010

  2. In message <>, MRAB
    wrote:

    > On 08/09/2010 19:07, Georg Brandl wrote:
    >
    >> Thus spake the Lord: Thou shalt indent with four spaces. No more, no
    >> less. Four shall be the number of spaces thou shalt indent, and the
    >> number of thy indenting shall be four. Eight shalt thou not indent,
    >> nor either indent thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to four.
    >> Tabs are right out.
    >>

    > FYI, that should be "thine indenting".
    >
    > "My/thy" before a consonant, "mine/thine" before a vowel. Compare with
    > "a/an", which we still do.

    The funny thing is, that’s technically “Modern Englishâ€...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2010

  3. On Saturday 11 September 2010, it occurred to Lawrence D'Oliveiro to exclaim:
    > In message <>, MRAB
    >
    > wrote:
    > > On 08/09/2010 19:07, Georg Brandl wrote:
    > >> Thus spake the Lord: Thou shalt indent with four spaces. No more, no
    > >> less. Four shall be the number of spaces thou shalt indent, and the
    > >> number of thy indenting shall be four. Eight shalt thou not indent,
    > >> nor either indent thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to four.
    > >> Tabs are right out.

    > > FYI, that should be "thine indenting".
    > >
    > > "My/thy" before a consonant, "mine/thine" before a vowel. Compare with
    > > "a/an", which we still do.

    > The funny thing is, that’s technically “Modern Englishâ€...

    ... and it's regularly used in a number of best-selling books.

    Thomas Jollans, Sep 11, 2010