Re: Python IDE's

Discussion in 'Python' started by J.G.R. Hewer, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. J.G.R. Hewer

    J.G.R. Hewer Guest

    Thanks for your reply - that link is very useful, and i have been browsing
    through the various multiplatform editors/ide's (i'm looking for something
    to use on both my Windows machines and my Mac)

    There are so many options, just wondering if anyone could recommend an
    IDE?

    I have tried Eclipse with PyDev but i'm getting problems with this on my
    Mac (works nicely on Windows tho!). I have tried SPE but it kept
    crashing on me on my Mac (maybe this will be fixed in the latest release,
    which should go final soon)

    Jedit looks quite good, but does it actually let you run your Python code
    from within Jedit, or does it merely provide syntax highlighting etc?

    Cheers
    Jon

    J.G.R. Hewer, Aug 1, 2005

  2. J.G.R. Hewer

    projecktzero Guest

    VIM or Emacs. I use VIM on Windows, Mac, and VMS. I'd consider it more
    of an editor than an IDE, but there are many IDE features available
    with plug ins.

    projecktzero, Aug 1, 2005

  3. You know, for several years I was one of those people who simply ignored
    posts like this about Vi/Vim because I happened to come across it once on
    a sparc machine and thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't figure out
    how to type a simple note. I thought that Vi (Vim) was some kind of
    weird and ancient legacy program that just never caught up with the times.

    About 3 or 4 months ago, I had a truly large amount of ascii text editing
    and formatting to do and in a plea for advice, I got the standard cliche
    replies to try "Vim". Having nothing to lose, I gave it a shot. It took
    only about two weeks before I was competent, but it was probably the
    greatest time investment I have ever made. I now use Vim for any text
    editing purpose, and especially python coding.

    No doubt, the majority of people who read your post will instantly ignore
    it - but I know from personal experience that it would take a very special
    IDE to compete with Vim for the manipulation of text (GUI design, of
    course, is another story altogether).

    regards
    Caleb

    Caleb Hattingh, Aug 1, 2005
  4. J.G.R. Hewer

    Jon Hewer Guest

    I do use Vim a lot. I am currently using it for some PHP development
    i'm doing. I'm been using it so much recently that i keep pressing
    ESC and typing vi commands out of vi.

    But, if i use Vi, then whenever i want to test some code i have to
    open up python, import the necessary modules and run it - I like the
    idea of developing python in an IDE and just hitting a run button.

    Cheers
    Jon

    Jon Hewer, Aug 1, 2005
  5. J.G.R. Hewer

    Benji York Guest

    Jon Hewer wrote:
    > But, if i use Vi, then whenever i want to test some code i have to
    > open up python, import the necessary modules and run it - I like the
    > idea of developing python in an IDE and just hitting a run button.

    map <F5> :w<CR>:!python %<CR>
    --
    Benji York

    Benji York, Aug 1, 2005
  6. J.G.R. Hewer

    gene tani Guest

    (instead of saying "google is your bud", & because this ? isn't readily
    FAQ-able)

    i suggest Google Advanced Searching c.l.py for "python IDE
    intellisense" or "code completion" or "regex debugger" or "contextual
    help" or "whatever_feature" (each feature has about 15 codenames, keep
    at it), maybe throw in your O/S of choice. 2005 threads have volumes
    written about vim,emacs,eclipse, eric, komodo, wing, Jedit, SPE,
    KDevelop, others. Then send feedback to the wiki:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

    (oh, and don't expect a perfect Visual Studio/IntelliJ/eclipse for java
    workalike)

    gene tani, Aug 2, 2005
  7. J.G.R. Hewer

    Guest Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:21:08 -0400
    Benji York wrote:

    > Jon Hewer wrote:
    > > But, if i use Vi, then whenever i want to test some code i have to
    > > open up python, import the necessary modules and run it - I like the
    > > idea of developing python in an IDE and just hitting a run button.

    > map <F5> :w<CR>:!python %<CR>

    Or, probably even better:

    map <F5> :w<CR>:!xterm -e python -i % &<CR><CR>

    --
    jk

    Guest, Aug 2, 2005
  8. Hello,

    > Thanks for your reply - that link is very useful, and i have been browsing
    > through the various multiplatform editors/ide's (i'm looking for something to
    > use on both my Windows machines and my Mac)

    You might want to have a look at the archive of the Python-Mac
    mailinglist. Someone who's maintaining the Mac OS X installers for
    several open-source IDEs has posted a quite extensive review of some
    IDEs very recently. To me it looks like Wing IDE may be the best choice
    if you want something perfectly solid and don't mind paying a
    reasonable price.

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang Keller

    Wolfgang Keller, Aug 2, 2005
  9. Jon Hewer wrote:
    > I do use Vim a lot. I am currently using it for some PHP development
    > i'm doing. I'm been using it so much recently that i keep pressing
    > ESC and typing vi commands out of vi.
    >
    > But, if i use Vi, then whenever i want to test some code i have to
    > open up python, import the necessary modules and run it - I like the
    > idea of developing python in an IDE and just hitting a run button.

    the Emacs + python-mode combo solve this problem - and in fact gives
    much more than the common "run and print results" feature of most IDEs,
    since you can run either the whole script or any part of it in an
    (embedded) interactive python shell - just as if you had copy/pasted the
    code in the python shell... This is very useful for exploring/quick
    testing.

    --
    bruno desthuilliers
    p in ''.split('@')])"

    bruno modulix, Aug 3, 2005
  10. J.G.R. Hewer

    Mike Meyer Guest

    bruno modulix <> writes:

    > Jon Hewer wrote:
    >> I do use Vim a lot. I am currently using it for some PHP development
    >> i'm doing. I'm been using it so much recently that i keep pressing
    >> ESC and typing vi commands out of vi.
    >>
    >> But, if i use Vi, then whenever i want to test some code i have to
    >> open up python, import the necessary modules and run it - I like the
    >> idea of developing python in an IDE and just hitting a run button.

    > the Emacs + python-mode combo solve this problem - and in fact gives
    > much more than the common "run and print results" feature of most IDEs,
    > since you can run either the whole script or any part of it in an
    > (embedded) interactive python shell - just as if you had copy/pasted the
    > code in the python shell... This is very useful for exploring/quick
    > testing.

    You may want to use Emacs VI mode as well, so that when you press ESC
    and type vi commands, it has a chance of working.

    <mike

    Mike Meyer, Aug 5, 2005