Re: Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Brueck, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Dave Brueck

    Dave Brueck Guest

    On Monday 29 September 2003 12:36 pm, Michael Chermside wrote:
    > > I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
    > > public awareness of Python.
    > >
    > > The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
    > > enough. An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
    > > arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
    > > interesting situations and adventures. (At the very least, he has to
    > > be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!) Good examples can be found
    > > in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's
    > > Tux.
    > >
    > > So a snake is out.

    > I'm not an artist, but I still want to question your "requirements"
    > above. You declare "An effective mascot has to have something
    > approximating two arms, two legs, and a head". I certainly see why
    > an effective mascott needs a _face_ (to express emotion, and to take
    > advantage of the hardwired human facial-feature processor). But I
    > really don't understand the need for two legs, and with some creative
    > stretch, I'm unsure about the hands.

    I agree. See Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle Book for creative ways of using
    snake characters. Also, a lack of arms never stopped Homestar Runner[1] from
    eating, reading, etc. :)

    -Dave

    [1] http://www.homestarrunner.com

    Dave Brueck, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Dave Brueck

    selwyn Guest

    selwyn, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Dave Brueck

    336699 Guest

    336699, Oct 1, 2003
  4. On 1 Oct 2003 11:05:38 -0700, (336699) wrote:

    >http://art.gnome.org/images/icons/other/GNOME-Application-X-Python-Source.png
    >
    >Definitely not cute and cuddly, but a nice icon. Personally, I'd like
    >to see something with a level of artistry equal to the icon above but
    >with the cuteness factor of Odi.

    Actually ISTM that one looks more like a green cobra
    (with a whitish under-hood area) than a python ;-)

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter

    Bengt Richter, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Dave Brueck <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I agree. See Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle Book for creative ways of using
    > snake characters. Also, a lack of arms never stopped Homestar Runner[1] from
    > eating, reading, etc. :)
    >
    > -Dave
    >
    > [1] http://www.homestarrunner.com

    And who's to say snakes can't have arms? Trogdor[1] may not be a snake
    but it kinda looks like one, with a beefy arm attached to it's back.
    So all we need to do is add an arm to the Python-snake and it
    can do all the hacking we want. Perfect.

    [1] http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

    Hannu Kankaanp??, Oct 2, 2003