    From: James Carroll [mailto:]
    Sent: 18 April 2005 18:10
    To: Bill Davy;
    Subject: Re: (Python newbie) Using XP-SP2/MSVC6: No Python24_d.lib, winzip
    barfs on Python-2.4.1.tar, cannot download bzip2

    Hi Bill,

    Python 2.4 requires VC7.1 I just ran into this recently. Once I
    installed VC7.1, I could easily compile the Python source to create a
    debug lib.

    Winzip should be able to read the python source tarball... There is
    one trick though. Once you download it, it might get renamed to
    python.tar.gz.tar and the trick is to rename the file's extension to
    tar.gz or (my preference) .tgz.

    If it really is a bzip2 file, then you'll need some sort of bunzip. I
    use the cygnus version, but I don't remember having to do anything out
    of the way for the python source.

    -Jim

    Bill Davy, Apr 19, 2005