Re: Python on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 19/10/2012 14:24, graham wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone who replied.
    >
    > Python was installed in the subdirectory C:\Python27 with the file
    > feedparser.py residing in C:\Python27\Lib\email.
    >
    > Setting the Windows environment variable (which did not previously
    > exist) to C:\Python27\Lib\email allowed me to import feedparser
    > successfully.
    >
    > However, it seems that this feedparser module is not the module I wanted.
    >
    > I'm trying to follow an introductory Python course from the magazine
    > Linux Format (issue number 120 I think).

    I'm very surprised that the article tells you to import a non-standard
    module without telling you where to download it. I imagine that the
    module is this one:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/feedparser/

    (In general, PyPI is the first place to look for Python packages).

    > This is all confusing and frustrating.

    Understandably. It's not unknown, but it is unusual for two
    identically-named packages to exist for Python. It's more
    unfortunate when it's one used in a beginner's article.

    If you understand how to download the .zip file from the page above and
    unzip it then you need to go to the directory where the unzipped files
    are and run:

    python setup.py install

    If you're not sure how to do any of that, feel free to post back here or
    to the python-tutor list [1] which is a little more experience in
    helping newcomers.

    TJG

    Tim Golden, Oct 19, 2012