Re: Python + OpenOffice Calc

Discussion in 'Python' started by rantingrick, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    On Mar 31, 2:47 am, Tracubik <> wrote:
    > Hi all!
    > i'm giving away to a friend of mine that have a garage (he repair car) my
    > old computer. He will use it essentialy to create estimates of the work
    > via an ods file (i've made a simple ods file to be filled with the cost of
    > materials and a description of the work).
    > He's totally new with computer and have difficult to fill the ods file, so
    > i'ld like to create a simple python program that help him to introduce the
    > data in to the ods file via a simple gui.
    > So what i'm looking for is a way in python to insert data in a particular
    > cell of the ods file and possibly to save it and print it when it's full
    > filled with data.
    >
    > the guy is similar to this:
    >
    > 3 fields: quantity - description of the piece bought - price

    So what is your plan...?
    * Pop up a dialog with three entrys,
    * have him fill out the three entrys,
    * then have python insert the data into the spreadsheet?
    ....Why bother messing with OO, too much trouble for me?

    If the guy is that scared of spreadsheets I would skip the spreadsheet
    all together and just use a Tk.Listbox to display the data. Create a
    big button at the bottom (preferably in Times 20 red font) that says
    "NEW INPUT" and let him edit lines by double clicking on them. You
    need a good Scrolled Listbox with a nice interface, an entry dialog,
    and some file IO with backup protection. Thats about it.

    I would probably create a new file every day, week, or month depending
    on the amount of data he enters daily, you don't want to load enormous
    files into a Tk.Listbox. Then just save all the data as csv and you
    can always load it into a spreadsheet later if the IRS comes knocking,
    or you need to print a professional looking spreadsheet ;-). Simple,
    100% python solution!

    If you want to do this and need help i would be happy to offer my
    assistance. This would be a "fairly" simple script and great learning
    experience for you.

    rantingrick, Apr 1, 2010

  2. rantingrick

    Guest

    On Apr 1, 6:53 am, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > > 3 fields: quantity - description of the piece bought - price

    > So what is your plan...?
    >   * Pop up a dialog with three entrys,
    >   * have him fill out the three entrys,
    >   * then have python insert the data into the spreadsheet?
    > ...Why bother messing with OO, too much trouble for me?

    Totally agree with you. No need for a heavy machinery in this case.

    > Then just save all the data as csv and you
    > can always load it into a spreadsheet later if the IRS comes knocking,
    > or you need to print a professional looking spreadsheet ;-).  Simple,
    > 100% python solution!

    Actually, a spreadsheet based solution isn't best fit for such a task.
    I'd recommend to store the data in sqlite3 (also 100% pure python as
    the module is in the stdlib). CSV is good for making invoices or
    something like that.

    , Apr 1, 2010

  3. rantingrick

    rantingrick Guest

    On Apr 1, 4:38 am, "" <> wrote:

    > Actually, a spreadsheet based solution isn't best fit for such a task.
    > I'd recommend to store the data in sqlite3 (also 100% pure python as
    > the module is in the stdlib). CSV is good for making invoices or
    > something like that.

    +1

    rantingrick, Apr 1, 2010