Re: Python preinstalled on Windows - looking for details

Discussion in 'Python' started by Peter Hansen, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Peter Hansen

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Skip Montanaro wrote:

    > It appears that HP and perhaps some other computer manufacturers who deliver
    > Windows systems have begun delivering systems with Python pre-installed.
    > We've begun to get frequent questions about this at the
    > email address. I contacted HP about this, but have so far received no firm
    > details about why Python is installed or what applications on their boxes
    > use it. It's not clear how to respond to people who ask, "What's this
    > Python thing? Can I delete it?", other than to say, "No, you probably
    > shouldn't delete it.".
    >
    > If you have any details about who in the Windows world preinstalls Python
    > and what they use it for, please let me know. I'd like to add a question to
    > the Python FAQ, but would like some details.

    Maybe get someone who has purchased such a machine to contact HP
    tech-support and ask some similar questions. Something like "I found
    this Python stuff on my machine and thought maybe my kid put it there.
    Can I safely delete it to free up hard drive space? Will that break
    anything and, if so, what?"

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Aug 24, 2003

  2. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:32:43 -0400,
    Peter Hansen <> quoted:
    > Skip Montanaro wrote:
    >> It appears that HP and perhaps some other computer manufacturers who deliver
    >> Windows systems have begun delivering systems with Python pre-installed.

    My parents have a Compaq Windows box, and the last time I visited, I
    discovered a Python 1.5 installation in a system directory. I assume that
    portions of their installation or administrative tools use Python for
    something.

    --amk

    A.M. Kuchling, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Peter Hansen

    Asun Friere Guest

    Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Maybe get someone who has purchased such a machine to contact HP
    > tech-support and ask some similar questions. Something like "I found
    > this Python stuff on my machine and thought maybe my kid put it there.
    > Can I safely delete it to free up hard drive space? Will that break
    > anything and, if so, what?"

    Alternatively get that someone to delete it and see what happens ;)

    Asun Friere, Aug 25, 2003