re: Python Productivity Gain?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Brueck, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Dave Brueck

    Dave Brueck Guest

    kbass wrote:
    > IMHO, the overall productivity gain of any programming language comes from
    > the programmers that are programming in the language. Productivity gain
    > comes from individuals and is not language based.

    Really? As in, you'll be just as productive programming in pure assembly as you
    would in Python?

    I'd go the complete other direction and say that a lot of productivity gains
    _can_ come from the programmer (talent/aptitude, etc), but a huge amount of it
    can come from the language itself (likewise, the language itself can be a huge
    productivity loss).

    Consider, for example, how powerful it is to have a builtin mapping type
    (Python's dictionary) or all the list functionality. I don't care if you're the
    world's greatest BASIC programmer, odds are that even a novice Pythonista can
    run circles around you if you are both tasked with solving a problem to which
    dictionaries or lists are well-suited.

    -Dave
    Dave Brueck, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Dave Brueck

    simo Guest

    It's interesting that most of us have shared a similar "language
    path".

    Personally mine is [mainly]:

    BBC BASIC (the best BASIC, dont' get me started on QBasic/VB!)
    ARM Assembly (damn, no divide, but bloody fast)
    Perl (my preciousssss)
    PHP (nice DB stuff, bloody slow though)
    Java (way too trendy for me, and slow)
    C (nice and low level)
    C++ (actually prefer C, C++ seems to hold you hand too much)
    C# (too much like J++ or ASP)
    Python (GUI stuff is sooo easy!)

    So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
    cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.
    simo, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Another opportunity for improvement? (was: Python Productivity Gain?)

    In article <>,
    simo <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
    >cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.

    What are Perl's advantages for CGI? Is the Perl language intrinsically
    superior for that work, or do you favor the convenience of specific
    libraries, or do you mean something different by "CGI" than what I have
    in mind, or ...?
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
    Cameron Laird, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Dave Brueck

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Re: Another opportunity for improvement? (was: Python Productivity Gain?)

    (Cameron Laird) writes:
    > >So my current favourites are Perl for CGI and Python for
    > >cross-platform, scriptable-GUI stuff.

    > What are Perl's advantages for CGI? Is the Perl language intrinsically
    > superior for that work, or do you favor the convenience of specific
    > libraries, or do you mean something different by "CGI" than what I have
    > in mind, or ...?

    Perl has a much deeper set of runtime packages available through CPAN,
    including stuff like Perl-DBI. The Perl language also has a nifty
    "tainting" feature, which helps catch security bugs. Maybe something
    like that can be added to PyPy (the new Python implementation under
    development) sometime.
    Paul Rubin, Feb 18, 2004