Re: Python Quiz

Discussion in 'Python' started by richardc, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. richardc

    richardc Guest

    'Question 8'
    Im no expert but wouldnt you accept that Python has 'borrowed' FORTRAN's
    fixed format syntax. I can only think of Python and FORTRAN off the top of
    my head which use whitespace as part of the syntax.

    As an aside, is there any reason that people like O'Reilly books use a
    picture of a snake on the front cover? Its not named after the snake.
    Should we have the 'Python programming red book' (blue cover), and the
    'Python pocket reference' (a 3000 page tome of a reference book).

    Just my thoughts

    Rich

    richardc, Jul 16, 2003

  2. "richardc" <> writes:

    > 'Question 8'
    > Im no expert but wouldnt you accept that Python has 'borrowed' FORTRAN's
    > fixed format syntax. I can only think of Python and FORTRAN off the top of
    > my head which use whitespace as part of the syntax.

    There was also Occam from the early eighties
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Occam/

    where each construct was indented by two spaces to show structure:

    PROC write.string(CHAN output, VALUE string[])=
    SEQ character.number = [1 FOR string[BYTE 0]]
    output ! string[BYTE character.number]

    write.string(terminal.screen, "Hello World!")

    --
    "Thinks: I can't think of a thinks. End of thinks routine": Blue Bottle

    ** Aunty Spam says: Remove the trailing x from the To: field to reply **

    Ian McConnell, Jul 17, 2003

  3. richardc

    Bob Gailer Guest

    At 11:53 AM 7/17/2003 +0100, Ian McConnell wrote:

    >"richardc" <> writes:
    >
    > > 'Question 8'
    > > Im no expert but wouldnt you accept that Python has 'borrowed' FORTRAN's
    > > fixed format syntax. I can only think of Python and FORTRAN off the top of
    > > my head which use whitespace as part of the syntax.

    There is also the ISPF Dialog Manager language as used on IBM Mainframes.

    Bob Gailer

    303 442 2625

    ---

    Bob Gailer, Jul 17, 2003