RE: [Python] Re: PyPI question, or, maybe I'm just stupid

Discussion in 'Python' started by Prasad, Ramit, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. > > However, personally, I am not interested in all the details (typically

    > > found in "CHANGES.txt") but some (often implicit) information is
    > > sufficient for me: something like "major API change", "minor bug
    > > fixes". Thus, think carefully what you put on the overview page.

    > I see your point. I'm just lazy, I guess. I already put a description
    > of what I've changed into git, so why, I muse, must I also edit the
    > overview page separately? I was hoping there was an automatic way that
    > "setup.py sdist upload" could handle it for me.

    Even if you could include commit messages I would not recommend it.
    Commit messages are for developers of _your_ package not users. It is
    like leaving a memo (cough or message) for future developers.

    As a user, I want to know that you added a feature AAA. I do *not*
    want to know that in order to add AAA you also had to modify BBB
    and create CCC. Maybe you had to revert BBB because it conflicted
    with DDD and then you refactored some code and added/updated
    comments. Finally you managed to fix BBB (maybe also modifying DDD?)
    and so the feature AAA is now available.

    Ramit

    This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimersand
    Prasad, Ramit, Jul 30, 2012