Re: [Python] Re: PyPI question, or, maybe I'm just stupid

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dieter Maurer, Jul 31, 2012.

  1. Chris Gonnerman <> writes:

    > On 07/30/2012 04:20 AM, Dieter Maurer wrote:
    >> I find it very stupid to see several window scrolls of changes for
    >> a package but to learn how to install the package, I have to download its
    >> source...

    > Not sure I get this. The installation procedure for PollyReports is
    > the same as for, what, 99% of Python source packages?
    >
    > sudo python setup.py install
    >
    > What else are you saying I should do?

    This remark was not targeted at "PollyReports" but (in general) at packages
    with non-trivial installation procedures which nevertheless
    state on the overview page "for installation
    read the separate installation instructions (in the source distribution)".

    As a side note: playing well with python package managers
    ("easy_install", "pip", "zc.buildout", ...) could make it even
    simpler than "sudo python setup.py install".

    Dieter Maurer, Jul 31, 2012