Re: python source code -> win/dos executable (on linux)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. In message <4c24c152$0$31381$>, superpollo
    wrote:

    > suppose i work in a linux environment, but i would like to ship a
    > win/dos executable file from time to time, just for test purposes (my
    > "testers" are windows users and don't want to go through the hassle of
    > installing python on their win boxes).

    Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2010

  2. On 2010-06-28, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <4c24c152$0$31381$>, superpollo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> suppose i work in a linux environment, but i would like to ship a
    >> win/dos executable file from time to time, just for test purposes (my
    >> "testers" are windows users and don't want to go through the hassle of
    >> installing python on their win boxes).

    > Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?

    Sometimes. But, no matter how easy it is, if you rely on your
    customers to install some third party SW that's required for your
    program to work, they'll figure out a way to screw it up.

    If you're shipping a Windows program, you can barely count on the
    target machine having a working base Windows install. Expecting
    something else to be there is pure fantasy.

    --
    Grant
    Grant Edwards, Jun 28, 2010

  3. On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <4c24c152$0$31381$>, superpollo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> suppose i work in a linux environment, but i would like to ship a
    >> win/dos executable file from time to time, just for test purposes (my
    >> "testers" are windows users and don't want to go through the hassle of
    >> installing python on their win boxes).

    > Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?

    I find it somewhat easier than on Ubuntu, but I think you've missed the point.
    David Robinow, Jun 28, 2010
  4. In message <4c286d71$0$18654$>, superpollo
    wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro ha scritto:
    >>
    >> Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?

    > no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(

    Can’t you create an installation package that specifies Python and all the
    other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system will
    automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
    installation?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2010
  5. On 6/29/10 12:27 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message<4c286d71$0$18654$>, superpollo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro ha scritto:
    >>>
    >>> Is it really such a hassle to install things on Windows?

    >> no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(

    > Can’t you create an installation package that specifies Python and all the
    > other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system will
    > automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
    > installation?

    At first, on reading this, I assumed it was sarcastic (and sort of
    decided not to reply, because anti-windows is too easy); but on reading
    again I'm not so sure, you're writing it all out so .. dry. Then again,
    'hearing' tone in text is hard.

    If this isn't sarcastic: windows has no package management system. You
    include every dependency manually (in varying forms) or things don't run.

    Windows has a way to track what you install, and the ability to
    uninstall about three fourths of it later. That's it.

    --

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai
    Stephen Hansen, Jun 29, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bill Davy Guest

    "Stephen Hansen" <me+list/> wrote in message
    > On 6/29/10 12:27 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message<4c286d71$0$18654$>, superpollo
    >> wrote:

    >>> no, but it *IS* to explain it to dumb users... :-(

    >> Can't you create an installation package that specifies Python and all
    >> the
    >> other necessary dependencies, so the Windows package-management system
    >> will
    >> automatically pull the right versions in when the user does the
    >> installation?

    > At first, on reading this, I assumed it was sarcastic (and sort of decided
    > not to reply, because anti-windows is too easy); but on reading again I'm
    > not so sure, you're writing it all out so .. dry. Then again, 'hearing'
    > tone in text is hard.
    >
    > If this isn't sarcastic: windows has no package management system. You
    > include every dependency manually (in varying forms) or things don't run.
    >
    > Windows has a way to track what you install, and the ability to uninstall
    > about three fourths of it later. That's it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ... Stephen Hansen
    > ... Also: Ixokai
    > ... Mail: me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io
    > ... Blog: http://meh.ixokai.io/

    Not that I am a supporter of Windows nor an expert at MSI BUT later versions
    of Visual Studio do have a mechanism for building a package. I know it's
    not in VC6, but is in VS.2008.
    HTH,
    Bill
    Bill Davy, Jul 1, 2010