Re: Python teaching book recommendations: 3.3+ and with exercises

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, May 3, 2013.

  1. On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM, TP <> wrote:
    > Since I've been using Python for years, I've only skimmed new books. Personally, I found the standard Python tutorial [1] (and reading the What's New sections) more than adequate for originally learning Python.
    >
    > Anyway, given your constraints, here's what I've come up with (stipulating Python 3, limits the number of available books. And requiring exercises is even stricter):

    Thanks for the tips, TP! I'll discuss these with the appropriate
    people over the weekend. From first glance, this is how they seem to
    me:

    > Python for Kids - A Playful Introduction to Programming - J. Briggs (No Starch, 2013) [2]. Python 3.2? Not necessarily just for kids but definitely slanted towards younger readers. Has "Programming Puzzles".

    Might skip this one. He's already tinkering with his own Linux box, so
    I don't think we need to go childish.

    > Think Python - A. Downey (O'Reilly, 2012) [3]. For Python 2 & 3. Exercises but no answers? There is also a Python 3 specific version available. Free..

    That looks good. Lack of answers isn't a problem; if Dad can't figure
    it out, he can always ask me. (But I'm hoping to be involved as little
    as possible with the detaily bits.)

    > Beginning Python - Using Python 2.6 and Python 3.1 - J. Payne (Wrox, 2010) [4]. Has exercises but... they seem a bit simplistic to me. Answers in Appendix A.

    Perhaps, but I'll keep it on the list anyway.

    > Head First Python - Barry (OReilly,2011) [5] Python 3. Says for people who already know another language (and I would have to agree with that). Exercises.

    Pass on that, then; Python's his first real language study.

    > Introduction to Programming Using Python - Y. Liang (Pearson, 2013) [6]. A bit dull looking. Probably a college textbook? Lots of exercises. Author also has similar books on C++ & Java. Expensive.

    I'll mention it, but expensive is a downside when there are a number
    of free and/or cheap options!

    > Ignoring the constraints, here's another one that looks really interesting:
    >
    > Hello Python - A. Briggs (Manning, 2012) [7]. Python 2 only. Learn by incrementally writing and improving working programs. Less focused on syntax and more on getting the job done. No exercises per se, but since goal is working programs, progress can be still be checked. More about the "batteries"(including somewhat surprisingly pyglet, twisted & django).
    >
    > "We'll be using the latest version of Python 2, because most of the
    > libraries that we'll use in this book don’t yet support Python 3."

    I'll avoid that, then; I really don't want to have to get into a
    discussion of raw_input() vs input() after he's befuddled himself, nor
    do I intend to re-argue Unicode vs bytes!

    Many thanks for the suggestions. Was kinda hoping for multiple
    people's chimings-in; I know there'll be some strong opinions around
    the list... it's what we do best... :)

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, May 3, 2013