Re: Python..Tkinter..PYTHONPATH..

Discussion in 'Python' started by klappnase, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. klappnase

    klappnase Guest

    (q) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi...
    >
    > I have a Linux RH8.0 system. I installed Python2.2 from the 8.0 ISO
    > updates. I installed the Tcl 8.3.3 from the Tcl site... I also
    > installed the tcllib 1.0.
    >
    > My goal is to get viewcvs to run. However, when I check to see where
    > the system thinks things are, the PYTHONPATH env var is blank.
    >
    > echo $PYTHONPATH --> produces nothing....
    >
    > So, can anyone tell me what it should say? Can anyone shed any light
    > as to how this var is populated, and why it might be blank....? Can
    > anyone suggest what file I need to alter/should modify to have this
    > properly set whenever a user logs into the system....?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bruce

    On my Mandrake-9.1 I have the same non-existing $PYTHONPATH, however
    everything works fine (as far as I have tried), so I think this
    variable is not really needed. I must admit that I don't know too much
    about that. If you want to create a PYTHONPATH I think you will have
    to edit /etc/.bashrc , just add something like "export PYTHONPATH
    <path>" . To tell the truth I am not quite sure about the details,
    there may be also rc-files in the home directories that will overwrite
    the global settings from /etc/.bashrc (btw, that is the file's name on
    my mandrake box, maybe on RH the filename might differ).
    Maybe your problem is not PYTHONPATH at all, but sys.path in python.
    I am sorry that I cannot give you better help, I am just a newbie.

    Good luck

    Michael
    klappnase, Jul 30, 2003