Re: Python..Tkinter..PYTHONPATH..

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steven Taschuk, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Quoth q:
    > I have a Linux RH8.0 system. I installed Python2.2 from the 8.0 ISO
    > updates. I installed the Tcl 8.3.3 from the Tcl site... I also
    > installed the tcllib 1.0.
    >
    > My goal is to get viewcvs to run. However, when I check to see where
    > the system thinks things are, the PYTHONPATH env var is blank.
    >
    > echo $PYTHONPATH --> produces nothing....
    >
    > So, can anyone tell me what it should say? [...]

    This variable is analogous to $PATH; it lists directories in which
    the Python import mechanism will search for modules. The
    interpreter supplements this list with some paths it knows itself;
    for the complete result, launch the Python interpreter (by typing
    'python' at your shell prompt) and type
    import sys
    sys.path

    Unlike $JAVA_HOME, for example, $PYTHONPATH does *not* give the
    path to the Python installation.

    I don't know what viewcvs is, but a typical application does not
    require any modification to $PYTHONPATH unless it is installed in
    a weird place. Normally Python modules get installed into, e.g.,
    /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages, which is among the directories
    the interpreter uses automatically.

    > [...] Can anyone shed any light
    > as to how this var is populated, and why it might be blank....? [...]

    It is populated like any shell variable. It should be blank when
    the interpreter's default paths are sufficient.

    > [...] Can
    > anyone suggest what file I need to alter/should modify to have this
    > properly set whenever a user logs into the system....?

    The obvious places are /etc/profile and ~/.bashrc, as appropriate.

    .... but none of this seems obviously relevant to your objective.
    Is viewcvs not working? If not, what is the problem?

    --
    Steven Taschuk
    "I'm always serious, never more so than when I'm being flippant."
    Steven Taschuk, Jul 30, 2003