Re: Python Windows Extensions for Mac

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Rebert, Aug 20, 2011.

  1. Chris Rebert

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, johnny.venter <> wrote:

    > Hello, I am looking for the Python Windows Extensions to see if they can be installed on a Mac.THanks.

    Your request is nonsensical. pywin32 wraps the Windows API libraries.
    Mac OS X is not Windows; it does not implement the Windows API. Thus,
    there is nothing for pywin32 to wrap on a Mac. Square peg, round hole.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Rebert, Aug 20, 2011

  2. In article <>,
    Chris Rebert <> wrote:

    >On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM, johnny.venter <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello, I am looking for the Python Windows Extensions to see if they can be
    >> installed on a Mac.THanks.

    >Your request is nonsensical.

    That's not completely true.

    >pywin32 wraps the Windows API libraries.
    >Mac OS X is not Windows; it does not implement the Windows API. Thus,
    >there is nothing for pywin32 to wrap on a Mac.

    Again: Not completely true.
    One could run python under wine and get -- at least a part of -- the
    Windows API.

    >Square peg, round hole.

    wine might be the tool that makes the square peg round.

    Best regards,

    Günther
    Günther Dietrich, Aug 20, 2011