Re: Python2.4 on Win32 suddenly started crashing last night

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Chase, Sep 13, 2012.

  1. Tim Chase

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 09/13/12 07:42, Tim Chase wrote:
    > It was working as of last night, and to the best of my knowledge,
    > nothing was changed on the system. It took a while to track it
    > down, but it came from importing smtplib which in turn imports socket.
    >
    > I've tried "import socket" and it crashes, but then tried importing
    > each of the modules that are imported in socket.py and nothing dies:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Python24\Lib>python
    > Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    > (Intel)] on win32

    > 'win32'

    > [win32 crash happens here]

    Further diagnostics (copying socket.py to suckit.py and adding a
    sys.exit(1) at various points and then importing sucket) seem to
    point to this line in socket.py:

    __all__.extend(os._get_exports_list(_socket))

    So I can reduce the case to

    >>> import _socket
    >>> import os
    >>> os._get_exports_list(_socket)

    and it goes kablooie. If I do the same with _ssl:

    >>> import _ssl
    >>> import os
    >>> os._get_exports_list(_ssl)

    and it works fine.