Re: python3 binascii.hexlify ...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Simpson, Feb 9, 2013.

  1. On 09Feb2013 22:26, Chris Angelico <> wrote:
    | On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Peter Otten <> wrote:
    | > """Return the hexadecimal representation of the binary data. Every byte of
    | > data is converted into the corresponding 2-digit hex representation.
    | > """
    | >
    | > makes it pretty clear that the function is operating on bytes, not str.

    Well of course. I want a hexadecimal string representation of a chunk of
    bytes. It should be producing a string.

    | That doesn't necessarily mean it has to return bytes, though. It's
    | taking binary data and producing something that's plausibly either
    | bytes or str. It's human-readable and would definitely make sense to
    | be str (for instance, hex() returns a str), so imo this should be made
    | very clear in the docs. Maybe:
    |
    | """Return the hexadecimal representation of the binary data. Every byte of
    | data is converted into two bytes with the corresponding hex
    | representation in ASCII.
    | """
    |
    | or somesuch?

    Only if returning a string would break something relying on hexlify
    returning bytes. The natural way to write this function is to have it
    return a string.

    _If_ there's some dependency in the stdlib, maybe a doc fix would do.
    But otherwise IMO the function should be returning a string.

    What is the use case for returning bytes that just _look_ like a string?
    It is returning a textual representation; without a good reason, that
    should be a string.
    --
    Cameron Simpson <>

    Because of its special customs, crossposting between alt.peeves and normal
    newsgroups is discouraged. - Cameron Spitzer
    Cameron Simpson, Feb 9, 2013