Re: Pythoness

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Avner Ben fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 25 July 2003 05:34 am:

    > The following is from the "A Word A Day" newsletter
    > (http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html) of 22 July 2003. I
    > thought you'd find it amusing...
    >
    >>pythoness (PIE-thuh-nis) noun
    >>
    >> 1. A woman with the power of divination.
    >>
    >> 2. The priestess of Apollo at Delphi in Greek mythology.

    Hmmm, I'd always seen the priestess referred to as "the Pythia" (or
    something similar).

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Dennis Lee Bieber

    Paul M Guest

    Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > Avner Ben fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 25 July 2003 05:34 am:
    >

    >>The following is from the "A Word A Day" newsletter
    >>(http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/subscribe.html) of 22 July 2003. I
    >>thought you'd find it amusing...
    >>

    >>>pythoness (PIE-thuh-nis) noun
    >>>
    >>> 1. A woman with the power of divination.
    >>>
    >>> 2. The priestess of Apollo at Delphi in Greek mythology.
    >>>

    > Hmmm, I'd always seen the priestess referred to as "the Pythia" (or
    > something similar).

    For more on Pythia and Delphi see a recent Scientific American article:

    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0009BD34-398C-1F0A-97AE80A84189EEDF&pageNumber=1&catID=2

    If that URL get's munged, just go the the Scientific American homepage
    and search on "Delphi"

    --Paul

    Paul M, Jul 26, 2003